Origins: From the marvellous A Good Appetite.
Cook’s Notes: Discovered on a long ago trawl of cucpake blogs, but never put into action until the dev-inspired conclusion that #everythingsbetterwithbacon.
8 slices smoked back bacon
400g caster sugar
2 large eggs
125ml buttermilk (or half full fat natural yoghurt, half full fat milk)
2 tbsp vanilla
220g plain flour
1/2 tsp bicarb of soda
1 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 180C. Put cases in 2 cupcake trays.
- Cut the bacon into 1cm squares. Fry or grill until brown and crisp. Place aside on kitchen paper to soak up the oil.
- Melt the butter in a large pan over low heat. Whisk in the cocoa, then add water and whisk until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Mix in the sugar, then eggs, buttermilk and vanilla. Sift in the flour and raising agents, then add the salt. Mix until combined (might still be a little lumpy). Stir in the bacon. The mixture should be quite liquid.
- Fill the cupcake cases two-thirds full. Bake for 20 minutes until a skewer or toothpick comes out clean, a few crumbs excepted.
- Allow cupcakes to cool.
220g icing sugar
2/3 tsp vanilla
Melt the butter, then stir in the cocoa. Alternately add sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add a little extra milk is needed. Stir in vanilla.